Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dinuguan Recipe

I don't know if you can buy pork blood here in Korea, but as far as I know, Koreans don't eat pork blood. Even the blood used in making Sun-dae (순대) or Sun-dae Guk (순대국) is from beef. So, I was just so glad that the meat shop around the neighborhood sells beef blood. The thing is, they only sell it once a week. I had to wait until Friday. But, it was worth the wait. 

Finally, I was able to make my own version of Dinuguan (with a little help from my Mom!) here in Korea. It was my first time ever to cook Dinuguan, so I was not sure how it would taste, more so, how it would look like. Especially since I was using ingredients that were a bit different from the ones we have way back home.


Also, another note. Since tomatoes are very expensive here and you can't buy one piece or "tingi," I tried using the canned variety for this recipe, the canned plum tomatoes. I know, I know! Some of you might think, not a good idea. But, I have to use whatever limited resources I have here.


INGREDIENTS:
600 grams pork (you can use 찌개 (Chigae) pork, and cut it into smaller, bite-sized pieces)
3 cups of beef blood (소피)
3 cups of water
1 cup of  rice vinegar (현미 식초)
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 medium onion, diced
2 pieces of canned plum tomatoes
1 laurel leaf (bay leaf)
5 pcs. green finger peppers
½ Tbsp. salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Prepare pork blood by straining it and separating the blood that is in jelly form in a separate bowl. 

2. Parboil (sangkutsa) the pork. Set aside. Then, saute the garlic, onions and tomatoes using the oil that has formed from the pork. Add a teaspoon more of oil if needed.





3. Next, add 3 cups of  water  to a large casserole and add in the sauted garlic, onion, tomatoes and pork.



4. Cover and let it cook on medium heat until the meat is tender. Add more water if the pork has not yet tender.
   
5. Once the pork is tender, add the vinegar. DO NOT STIR until it boils. My mom told me that when you stir while the vinegar has not boiled, your soup will turn sour.

6. Add in the jellied blood first, and stir for a minute.


7. Add in the rest of the pork blood and the finger peppers, and stir until you have attained the desired thickness.

8. Add salt and let it simmer for five more minutes.

Serve with rice or puto~


Hubby's verdict? It's a tad sour for his taste, but he said it's almost the same as the ones he has tasted in the Philippines. So the next time I make another one, I'll try reducing the vinegar to 3/4 cup instead. I'll let you know how it tastes.


And if you're wondering... YES, my husband can eat dinuguan or any kind of Philippine dish =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment