Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chocolate Brownie with Cashew Toppings (chewy type)

I like sweets. No. Let me rephrase that. I LOOOOOOVE sweets! Especially baked goodies! I don't think my meal would be complete without ending it with a piece of cream puff or that slice of egg pie or even that bar of chocolate.

I have a couple of brownie recipes that I found online in the past, but for some reason, most of the recipes call for white sugar only. I have always had the impression that using some brown sugar (whether in brownies or in cookies) gives baked goodies a chewy consistency, so I decided to try having 1 cup white and 2/3 cup brown sugar to test whether my theory is right.

So today, I baked two batches of brownies since I am expecting visitors tomorrow. The other one has a chocolate ganache and marshmallow topping, but the rest of the ingredients as well as the directions are almost the same. Check out the link if you want to try that one out.

As for the fresh cream, you can skip that one and just add in 2 tbsp. of water. I used fresh cream since I still had some left over and didn't want to throw the rest away.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
¾ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 tbsp. fresh cream (I used 매일 생크림 Maeil Fresh cream) OR 2 tbsp. water
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
Cashew nuts, halved
Corn syrup for the glaze

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). 
2. Grease an 8x8” or 13x19” baking pan. Set aside.
2. Mix sugar, butter and fresh cream in a bowl, then add in the eggs and vanilla extract.

3. Add the all-purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into the sugar-butter mixture. Mix well until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.

4. Spread the mixture into the baking pan. Arrange the cashew nuts on top. Believe me, it took a while to arrange all these cashew nuts, but it was worth it!
5. Bake for 35 minutes. You can also do the “toothpick test” by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center of your baked brownie. If it comes out slightly sticky, your brownies are done.

6. Brush some corn syrup to give the brownies that shiny look!

7. Cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting them into bars.

Note: I usually cut the whole brownie into bars the following day.That way, I’m sure they are completely cooled and won’t crumble when I cut them. 

So is my theory about the brown sugar right? Yes, they came out moist and chewy on the inside.^^

No comments:

Post a Comment