Friday, February 8, 2013

DIY Beauty Recipe: Natural Lip Balm and Lipstick

I started having an interest in making my own cosmetics and handmade soap in 2009. Actually, it was my hubby and mother-in-law who first enrolled in a short course on making handmade soap in 2009, but eventually I developed more interest in it. I've bought books, researched information online, and now that I can read and understand a little Korean, I'm able to buy the ingredients on my own.

In addition, with all the news about lead in cosmetics, I have been more and more careful of what I put on my face or skin, especially with what I apply on my mouth.

Today, I'll be sharing a recipe for making lip balms and lipstick. I think lip balms are the easiest handmade cosmetics to make. With lipsticks, all you have to do is to add a touch of color to your ingredients.

The advantage of being able to make your own lipstick is that you can adjust the color depending on the amount of mineral powder you add into your base oils. You want to make red lipstick, then go ahead and use more red lip color powder. If you want a pinkish color, add some white oxide.

Lip Balm Basic Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
42.5 grams beeswax
28 grams cocoa butter
42.5 grams shea butter
56 grams sweet almond oil
1 tsp. or 2 capsules of Vitamin E

Procedure:
1. Put some water in a small pan, and place your beaker with the beeswax in it.
2. When the beeswax has melted, add your cocoa butter and shea butter, let them melt, and then add sweet almond oil.
3. Heat through but not over 79 degrees Celcius. 
4. Add Vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant, so it could help prolong the life of the oils in your lip balm.
5. Remove your beaker from the pan, and pour the melted concoction onto your containers.
VOILA! Handmade, natural lip balms and lipsticks! 
Go ahead and indulge yourself in these lippies!

No comments:

Post a Comment