Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Daily Devotion: The Rod of Discipline

Scripture:
Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way appropriate for him,
and when he becomes older, he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:15
A child’s heart has a tendency to do wrong,
but the rod of discipline removes it far away from him.

Observation:
The verses above were written specifically for parents, and how they should bring up their children. The "rod" has long been a symbol of discipline. The Book of Proverbs has written about how it should be used so that children will grow up following the right path. The author of Proverbs believe that children have a tendency to commit sin, so it is important for parents to apply the "rod of discipline." I don't think the rod here means beating your children to death, as some people might interpret it. It only means that parents are to use "correction and instruction" so that their children will follow the righteous path.

Application:
There were times in my younger days when I disobeyed my parents, when I was stubborn and talked back to them. Now that I am an adult and have realized what I have done in the past when I was younger, I feel sorry that I have hurt their feelings. But my parents have been loving and did not give up disciplining me and my siblings. We should be thankful for our parents if they have disciplined us when we were younger, if they have reprimanded us when we did something wrong, or when they instructed us what we should do or not do. As a child, we might have just interpreted punishment as merely punishment because we have done something wrong. However, most parents only want what is best for their children, and discipline is their way of telling us what we should and should not do. God has placed our parents here on earth so that we can walk the path of righteousness.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for giving me my parents who follow your way and who have helped me grow into the person that I am today. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment