Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Daily Devotion: Cling to the Lord!

Scripture:
Deuteronomy 30:20 (ISV)
Love the Lord your God, obey his voice, and cling to him, because he is your life.

Observation:
God told Israel that they can choose to prosper or be destroyed. If they disobey the Lord, they will be destroyed; if they obey Him, they will prosper. But what does the Lord mean by obedience? The Bible shows us how notoriously disobedient Israel was. There were numerous instances when they complained, disrespected God, worshiped other Gods, and did not keep His commands. God punished them, but because of his loving and compassionate nature, He still gave them many chances to change. He is an amazing God. He is the one and only God capable of fully forgiving and loving his children who have sinned and hurt Him.

That is why in this verse, the Lord gives a command. Do you want to receive life, or do you want death? If you want to live, then choose to love the Lord, obey him, and cling to him.

Application:
I remember a time when I was about 5 years old and my family went swimming at the beach. I remember being scared because of the big waves, but because my father and I were sitting on an inflatable tube, I felt secure. An unexpectedly big wave came and smacked our tube, and before I knew it, I was sinking. I tried to swim my way up, but my little feet seemed to push me down the water. A few seconds later, I felt a hand pulling my hand up. I grabbed the hand and in no time I was on the surface of the water again, gasping for air, but alive and okay. It was my father! My father grabbed my hand and never let go. But if I had not clung to my father, I could have drowned. It's the same as our relationship with the Lord our Father. If we hold on tightly to his hand, He will never let us go. The Lord expects us to be completely dependent on Him so that He can give us life.

Prayer:
Father, teach me to completely attach myself to you, so I do not drown and lose the life that you have given me. Thank you for saving me from my sins. I totally surrender my life to you. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment