Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Daily Devotion: How Do I Love Thee, Lord?

Scripture:
Revelation 2:4-5 (ISV)
4 However, I have this against you: You have abandoned the love you had at first. 5 Therefore, remember how far you have fallen. Repent and go back to what you were doing at first.

Observation:
The church in Ephesus was doing a good job of serving the Lord. The Lord commended them for their hard work and perseverance, and for their service for the Lord. The Lord also knew that they detest wickedness, and cannot stand false prophets. But was the Lord pleased? In verses 4 and 5, the Lord told them that they no longer love the Lord. What does the Lord mean? I imagine the Lord saying "You don't love me anymore. You don't communicate with me. You don't meditate on my words, and you don't talk with me in prayer anymore. Remember who you were before. You were a sinner, but I saved you. You were lost, but I found you. You were unloved, but I have loved you despite your imperfections. But it seems that you have forgotten my sacrifice for you. Come back to me, and do the things that you did when you first started following me."   

Application:
This morning, as I was worshiping the Lord, the Lord asked me, "If I take everything away from you, would you still love me? Would you still follow me?"

For a split second I hesitated answering the question. Truly, what would I do if the Lord took away everything from me? What if the Lord took away my job, my house, my savings, and even my family? Would I still continue to love Him? But as I continued to pray and worship him, I felt the urge to answer, "The most important thing in my life right now is you, my Lord. I have never been in that kind of situation, but I have made a commitment to follow you. You are my Number One."

But as I answered the Lord, there was also fear in my heart. What if I cannot keep my promise? What if that time comes for the Lord to take everything away, would I TRULY be able to tell the Lord, "Lord, take everything away. All I need is you"? 

Prayer:
Father, I sincerely pray that if ever that time came, I would be able to keep my commitment and promise to follow you all the days of my life. Help me through your Holy Spirit to continue to walk in faith even though nothing is left for me in this world. Help me not to worry about what the future holds for me; rather teach me to cling to your promise that you will forever hold me in the palm of your hands, and that you will never forsake any of your children. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment