Sunday, April 23, 2017

Daily Devotion: Worth Boasting About

Scripture:
Jeremiah 9: 1-26

Main Verses:
Jeremiah 9: 23-24
This is what the Lord says: "Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord.

Observation:
All of us are guilty of boasting at some point in our lives, especially these days that most people have access to social media. It is so easy to post about our accomplishments, our riches, and possessions. It has become a norm for people to brag about themselves, to post pictures of their new car, to tell everyone of their new haircut/new look, to show to others that they are building their first ever dream house, and to show to others the latest picture of the restaurant where they have eaten the best tasting hamburger in town. But the Lord has given us a warning about boasting in Jeremiah 9: 23-24. If there is anything worth boasting, it should be God's greatness, goodness, and kindness to us all.

Application:
The Lord hates the arrogant and the wicked. We need to be careful not to boast about ourselves and also about our knowledge of the Word and of the Lord, because if we do, then we are shifting our focus on ourselves rather than on our Creator. But God wants us to tell others, to show to others, to boast to others about His great love, His faithfulness in our lives, and His amazing grace. We can brag about God's magnificent character and His incredible power. The Lord is delighted when we boast about these things.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me when I forget to humble myself. May your Holy Spirit remind me that I should be bragging about your greatness rather than whatever material possessions or accomplishments I have gained. Thank you for always showing me how I can be a better person and a better Christian. Thank you for your faithful love and for correcting me when I am wrong. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment