Saturday, February 11, 2017

Daily Devotion: A Nurturing Spirit

Scripture:
John 21:15-17
15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

Observation:
When your boyfriend or girlfriend asks you several times if you love him or her, what would you feel? Wouldn't you feel sad because this person that you loved has been doubting what you feel towards him or her?

Perhaps it was the same feeling that Peter felt at that time the Lord asked him if he loves him. Especially, among the seven disciples that day who went fishing, the Lord particularly chose to ask Peter if he loves him. Not only did he ask him once; Jesus asked him three times if he loves him. It seems that Peter did not completely understand what the Lord wanted him to say or do because everytime the Lord asked him if he loves him, the Lord kept on repeating "Feed my lambs." Jesus wanted to know if he indeed loves him with all his soul, heart, mind, and strength, and what Peter would be willing to do, or even give up, to show that he loves the Lord.

Application:
Nothing in this world can equal the love and sacrifice that Jesus has done for the salvation of my soul. But after receiving Christ's gift of salvation, what's next? What are we commanded to do to show that we sincerely want to follow the Lord? God wants us to take care of others, especially those who have just begun to know the Lord, and to nurture them and help their spirits grow.

Prayer:
Father, help me develop a nurturing spirit, one that deeply cares for the souls of those people who you have reached out to. Thank you for sending me people like my brothers and sisters in Christ who encourage me to continue in my walk as a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment