Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Daily Devotion: A Contented Heart

Scripture:
Philippians 4: 10-20

Main Verses:
Philippians 4: 11-12
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Observation:
It is graduation season once again. After graduating from college, the first thing that graduates want to do is to get a job. They have many reasons why they want to work right away after college. Some want to give a portion of their paycheck to their parents to help siblings who are still studying. Some just invest or save their money. Some immediately splurge on things that they were unable to have when they were still students. But Paul teaches us a lesson in contentment. He has experienced both abundance and scarcity. But in both situations, he has learned to be contented. He has the confidence to declare that God would provide for his needs and that He is in control of everything.

Application:
Are you one of those people who like investing in the latest gadgets or the trendiest fashion styles? Some people do so because they find satisfaction and fullfillment in owning these things. When I was little, I wanted to buy cute stickers and fancy stationery sets, but I didn't have enough money to buy them. So when I started working and had the money to buy them, I would visit stationery stores and buy something--a cute pen or notebook, adorable stickers, or anything fancy that caught my eyes' attention--whenever I get my paycheck. It gave me some sort of satisfaction.

There is nothing wrong in possessing these things; after all, we do deserve to reward ourselves sometimes for the hard work that we do. But if our entire lives just revolve around wanting to have these things, then we need to search our heart. Our hearts must always be centered on things that are eternal rather than those that are temporal. Jesus warns us to "take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke 12:15) and in 1 Timothy 6:6-7, we are reminded that Godliness with contentment is great gain. We brought nothing into this world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. We will never be truly satisfied and contented unless we let God fill our lives.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for this reminder. Thank you that I can declare that I have abundance in you and that I am never left wanting. Create in me a heart that always seeks for your righteousness and lead me not in the sin of covetousness. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment