Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Daily Devotion: The Blame Game

Scripture:
James 1: 2-18

Main Verses:
James 1: 13-14
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed.

Observation:
In Genesis 3, when Eve sinned, he blamed the devil for tricking her to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. When God asked Adam why he ate the forbidden fruit, he cast the blame on Eve. Too often, we look for someone or something to blame. When we're late for work, we blame the traffic or the broken subway train. When we fail to submit materials on their due date, we blame the lost or corrupted files or the glitchy computer. It is so easy for us to blame others rather than take the blame ourselves. When the devil tempts us to sin, we make up many excuses: I am still spiritually weak. I am just human. My parents are too strict. I did it out of an urgent need. But the apostle James reminded us that when we are tempted, it is not because God is tempting us, rather, it is because of our own lust and desire. There is no one else to blame but ourselves.

Application:
How can we avoid the traps set about by the enemy? First, we must ACKNOWLEDGE that temptations do not come from God. However, God may allow temptations so that He can demonstrate His grace and to also help us develop a more spiritually mature character. Second, ASK the Holy Spirit for help. The Lord Jesus Christ has given us a pattern that we should follow when we pray, and one of the things we should ask from God is for Him to "lead us not into temptation." If we do not yield to temptation, then we are not sinning. Lastly, AVOID circumstances that may lead you to temptation. Do not deliberately place yourself in situations where you might get tempted by the devil. Let us be cautious, and always be on our guard. Remember, the devil prowls around like a lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).

Prayer:
Father, thank you for showing me how I can avoid being trapped by temptations. Help me to be strong enough spiritually so I can overcome them, and keep me away from any circumstance that might lead me to be tempted by the enemy. The Lord Jesus Christ has already triumphed over sin, and so I am no longer under it's bondage! I claim victory in my life, in Jesus name. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment