Sunday, May 7, 2017

Daily Devotion: The Shepherd's Protection

Scripture:
Psalms 23: 1-6

Main Verses:
Psalms 23: 4
Even when I walk through a valley of deep darkness, I will not be afraid because you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Observation:
As a shepherd, David had lots of experiences tending to his sheep. Therefore, he was able to compare his relationship with the Father to that of a shepherd and a sheep. As His Shepherd, David trusts in the Lord to lead him to the right path all the time, and protect him against evilness. In v 4 of Psalms 23, we notice that he used two sticks: the rod and the staff. It is said that shepherds use the rod against wild animals that may harm the sheep, while the staff is used to either guide the sheep to the right path and to gently tap the animal as a way to discipline it. In his relationship with the Lord, David felt secure and protected, because the Lord used his rod and his staff to lead him to the right direction.

Application:
The Lord is our Shepherd. In the New Testament, the Lord referred to himself as The Good Shepherd (John 10:11), whose sheep follow Him (John 10:14). The Lord wants us to remember that because we are His sheep, we can be assured of His protection. He will use His rod to keep us safe from the enemy, and He will use His staff to direct and discipline us. Therefore, there is nothing to be afraid of. We can confidently trust in the Lord's protection because the Lord will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13: 5).

Prayer:
Father, it is such a blessing to know that I am under your care and protection. You are my Great Shepherd; therefore, I have the confidence and assurance that you will guide me in every way and watch over me so that no harm may befall me. Thank you for your gentle and loving protection and care. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment